Friday, March 30, 2012

Week 26

Hello to all reading the blog this week!  This is Sarah back from a blog writing vacation.  I’ve actually been doing a multimedia workshop at the Telling room these past four weeks.  Go to the Telling room web site to see and hear our pieces!

This week in Life skills math we rolled for our scenarios.  This week, my scenario is that when I was at a club dancing, a big time producer saw me and asked me to make a two minute choreographed dance routine.  I could be famous!  (Metaphorically speaking)

In Ethics, we left Socrates and started learning about Aristotle.  He was one of Plato’s students after Socrates died.  He was the one that taught Alexander the Great, which was very fascinating to me.

In Logic we learned about consistency, necessary truths and contingency statements.  I know, it seems confusing, but once you learn the basics, it doesn’t fry your brain like an egg.

In History we finished our Assyrian mosaics and focused our attention on the rise and fall of New Babylonia, which we stitched into our maps which are coming out fantastically if you were wondering.

In Science our teacher found what she was looking for.  Whitchetty bugs.  Ha!  Fooled you!  We really didn’t eat them!  (We were very very pleased she didn’t find a supplier)  What we did was have eggs, shredded cheddar cheese, Filo dough in the oven.  Not one of us wanted to eat any but she persisted.  She said there was one secret ingredient in the mixture and we freaked, although they were particularly tasty.  Turned out, no secret ingredient.  She did that just to scare us a little, and said that’s what a cooked Whitchetty grub would taste like.  God knows what a raw one would taste like!  Yuck!  We also drew the larval stages of butterflies and moths.

In Grammar we learned about identifying and diagramming object complements.  Again, I know it seems like a lot to cram into your brain, but it’s very simple.  Here is an example.  I’ll help you.  The town appointed four people Selectmen.  First is the subject which is town.  The verb is appointed. The describes town and four describes people.  People is the direct object.  But we have Selectmen left.  The rule for an object complement is that if it follows the direct object and re-describes it, it’s an object complement.  So Selectmen is the object complement.  It might hurt your brain, but take it from me, my brain doesn’t hurt as I’m writing this.

In Spelling we have a change of plans.  Instead of studying the really boring long words (Sorry Jen) we’re doing prefixes.  Pretty simple you think, but think harder.  There are thousands  of prefixes that I can’t even tell you how many!  But we only learn the ones we’ll see around a lot.

In Reading Comp we left Homer and are now reading Prometheus Bound by Aechylus, but first, we’re reading about Greek tragedy, comedy, and Satyr plays and how they were performed and all kinds of other interesting things.  I know, seems boring to you reading this, but if you read the book we’re reading, you’ll be amazed.

I’m writing the blog from the Telling room and we have Co-op tomorrow and the new classes starting.  I’m in homemade cosmetics, my writer’s guild, and Greek drama (Coincidence?).  And Friday I’m back at Grapheteria working on framing and pictures with Jim and Lisa.  If you want a perfectly framed picture or a newly fixed copied photo, I recommend the best.  I hope to see you all back next week!  (Maybe I can convince Sophie to do the blog next week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment